Forthcoming commitments for Frances Spalding include a lecture on Gwen Raverat and her work as a book illustrator at Cambridge School of Art on the 2nd November, and a talk on Virginia Woolf and the writing of fiction at the Richmond Literary Festival on 23rd November. She will also be helping to celebrate the opening in December of a permanent gallery devoted the work of John Piper at the River and Rowing Museum in Henley, with a talk on the formation of Piper’s vision in January or early February 2017 (tbc).
On the 16th January 2017 she will be giving a lecture in Madrid at the invitation of the Clásicas Modernas and the cultural foundation Caixaforum, on the creative friendship between Virginia Woolf and Roger Fry. She is also delivering a plenary lecture at the ‘Beyond Genius and Muse – Collaborating Couples in the twentieth-century arts’ conference at Bristol University on the 18th and 19th April 2017.
The Annual Virginia Woolf Birthday lecture on ‘Virginia Woolf and Tristram Shandy’ which Frances Spalding delivered at Senate House, University of London in January 2016 is now printed. Copies are available through Amazon or from the Virginia Woolf Society of Great Britain.
- Legacy of a Sir-Realist, review of James King’s biography of Roland Penrose, Standpoint, July/August 2016
- Being private and going public, and the example of the Royal Collection, Editorial, The Burlington Magazine, August 2016
- Kunstmuseum Basel, New Building, Editorial. The Burlington Magazine, July 2016
- The Promise of Tate Modern, Editorial, The Burlington Magazine, June 2016
- Photography and Museums, Editorial, The Burlington Magazine, April 2016
- British Art and the Paul Mellon Centre, Editorial, The Burlington Magazine, January 2016
- Neil MacGregor and the British Museum, Editorial, The Burlington Magazine, December 2015
- Six of the Best Portraits of Writers, The Times, 19 July 2014
- Who Shot Virginia Woolf?, Daily Telegraph, 9 July 2014
- Kasimir Malevich: the man who liberated painting, The Guardian, 4 July 2014
- The Self-Portrait: a Cultural History, The Guardian, 27 March 2014
- How Van Gogh’s Sunflowers came into bloom, The Guardian, 17 January 2014
- Breakfast with Lucian Freud: A Portrait of the Artist by Geordie Grieg, The Guardian, 18 December 2013
- Barbara Hepworth and the Hospital Drawings, The Burlington Magazine, January 2013
- A portrait for modern times – the painter as thinker, review of Alex Danchev’s biography of Cézanne, The Independent, 27 October 2012
- Monument to a family fortune and a heroine’s erased life, review of Jenny Uglow’s The Pinecone, The Independent, 6 October 2012
- Contingency – Notes from the Field, The Art Bulletin, September, 2012
- John Cecil Stephenson: Pioneer of Modernism, The Burlington Magazine, May 2012